Travis Scott: Brand Positioning Case StudyNov 18, 2023
A few years ago I stumbled across a documentary about the life of rapper Travis Scott. I was floored.
I had heard his songs. But I had never seen his live performances. The magnitude, intensity, and recklessness was a spectacle to witness.
His most recent concert in Rome even caused an earthquake.
How does this happen? It’s all thanks to his emotional edge.
Let’s get into it…
💼 The Brand: Travis Scott
- Travis Scott transcends the traditional boundaries of music stardom. He's not just an artist; he's a cultural phenomenon. From his music to his influence on fashion, Travis Scott has solidified himself as more than just a rapper.
💛 The Heart (Purpose and Values)
- The core of Travis Scott's brand includes elements of innovation, defiance, exclusivity, excitement, and nostalgia.
- His music and performances are immersive experiences extending beyond the auditory to create a visual and emotional journey for his audience.
👤 The Head (Positioning and Strategy)
- Travis Scott positions himself as a trendsetter, visionary artist, and boundary pusher whose brand and community extends beyond music.
- He has an edgy approach and refers to his concert goers as “ragers” because of just how rowdy his concert experiences are.
- And while his rebellious personality and extremism might be intimidating for some, his use of nostalgia balances it out building an intimate connection with his audience.
✋ The Hands (Tactics)
Here’s a few of the ways that Travis Scott has captured the hearts and minds of his audience…
- Out of this World Concert Experiences - Travis Scott is known for his visually stunning and high-energy concerts. It’s not without controversy, though. He’s been charged more than once for “inciting a riot,” many concert goers have injured themselves at his events, and a couple years ago 10 people tragically lost their lives due to a crowd surge.
- Fashion Collabs - Like his music, Travis Scott's fashion collabs with Nike and limited-edition merch drops have become highly anticipated. With many of his sneakers going for thousands of dollars on the resell market, the exclusivity of these items contribute to his brand's allure.
- Nostalgic Partnerships - A partnership between McDonald’s and a world famous rapper might seem odd. But it actually makes perfect sense when you consider the nostalgic nature of Travis Scott’s brand. Hoodies, a lunch tray, and a nugget pillow were among the items offered for sale.
⚡️ Find Your Emotional Edge Like Travis Scott
Travis Scott's brand success lies not only in his musical talent but in his ability to create an immersive, exciting, and nostalgic experience for his audience. Concerts that are set at “Disney World” scale and unusual collabs that include nugget pillows make his brand stand out.
As a business or brand, ask yourself how you can defy expectations and trigger emotions that might not be typical compared to your competition.
Remember, people aren’t really paying for products — they’re paying for an experience. And to take it one level deeper, what they’re really paying for is how that experience makes them feel.
Want this in your inbox every week? We'd love to have you! Subscribe using the form below 👇